In Prescott, Ontario, a stone fronted building on the east side of East Street and about midway between Dibble Street East and Henry Street East, has a plaque standing nearby, south of it, explaining its provenance.
PRESCOTT BARRACKS AND HOSPITAL
The front portion of this structure, one of the earliest surviving military buildings in Ontario, was constructed as a residence about 1810 by Colonel Edward Jessup, the founder of Prescott. Following the outbreak of the War of 1812, the stone house was appropriated for use as a barracks by local militia and, later, British regulars. It was soon enclosed within a stockade with other buildings, including a log schoolhouse also converted for barracks. Although a fort was completed nearby in 1814, the Jessup building continued to form part of the strategically located Prescott garrison. Between 1815 and 1817 it served as a combined hospital and barracks store, and in 1823 the British force purchased the house from the Jessup family.
ERECTED BU THE ONTARIO HERITAGE FOUNDATION,
MINISTRY OF CULTURE AND RECREATION