Saturday, October 1, 2016

Ottawa Valley Home Children Plaque

In Renfrew, Ontario, the Ottawa Valley Home Children plaque occupies a place on the wall to the right of the main door of the Renfrew Public Library on the southeast corner of Raglan Street South and Railway Avenue.



OTTAWA VALLEY HOME CHILDREN

From 1869 until the Great Depression England exported about 100,000
children to Canada as cheap farm labourers. Hundreds, perhaps thousands,
came to the Ottawa Valley. Not all were orphans; some were sent
over without the knowledge or permission of their parents; others were
sponsored by benefactors who saw greater hope for them in this land of
plenty. Virtually all were poor. Most were between 7 and 14 years of
age, but some were mere toddlers. Each child was supposed to ge room,
board, token pay, and some education. Many received no wages, no
schooling, and much abuse. To their credit most "Home Children"
overcame privation, lonliness and prejudice to become productive and
proud Canadians. Their descendents and the citizens of Renfrew honoured
them and celebrated their contribution to this country at the first
Reunion for Home Children, in Renfrew in 1991.

Erected by Heritage Renfrew, Home Children and their
descendents and the Ontario Heritage Foundation with the cooperation
of the town of Renfrew and the Public Library Board.


Thursday, September 29, 2016

Renfrew Cenotaph

The Renfrew Cenotaph stands in front of the Renfrew Town Hall on the northeast corner of Raglan Street South and Railway Avenue in Renfrew, Ontario.







1939 — 1945
REMEMBERING
THE MEN
OF THIS VICINITY
WHO DIED OVERSEAS

STEWARD W. JOBSON
WILLIMA S. JOHNSTON
THOMAS R. JONES
HERB C. JORDAN
DUNCAN R. KIPPEN
FRED MEREDITH
GEORGE E. MILLAR
DANIEL J. MULVIHILL
ARTHER McMAHON
ROY McNAB
EARL L. NICOL
HOWARD A. PHILLIPS
THOMAS PULCINE
HAROLD J. PUTINSKI
RAYMOND ROSE
EARL RICARD
LAWRENCE SCHWARTZ
LLOYD SCOTT
HAROLD SHEEHAN
MOODIE STEWART
HAMILTON R. STEWART
JOSEPH G. StLOUIS
ALFRED D. WADE
WARD WARREN
HECTOR WILSON
KEITH WILLIS
WILFRED R. GAGNON
ELLARD SEARSON
FRED McLEOD



1914
1918

SOMME

PASSCHENDAELE

AMIENS

REMEMBERING THE MEN OF THIS VICINITY
WHO DIED OVERSEAS


CAMERON MACKAY
LORNE V. FROOD
BOYD FROOD
FERGUSON BREMNER
MICHAEL A. BREMNER
MICHAEL NARLOCK
JOHN HASTINGS
NELSON DEMPSEY
SAMUEL J. DEMPSEY
GEORGE P. DUPUIS
JOHN TROY
JAMES HARTY
WM. J. STEWART
ROBERT V. ANDERSON
ALFRED W. ANDERSON
CHARLES REID
DONALD McLEOD
SAMUEL T. WALKER
ARTHER L. HENDRY
CHARLES L. PORTES
ALEX SHIELDS
ALLAN L. SMITH

DONALD BENNETT
GORDON HUGHES
ARTHUR THOMLINSON
GORDON H. MAIN
R. ROY AIRTH
DELPHISE LAPOINTE
PHILIP FREEMARK
WM. B. SCOTT
CLARENCE J. SIBARY
SAMUEL WIGHT
WILLIAM WIGHT
MACKIE B. MUIRHEAD
DOUGLAS MORROW
IAN MACKINNON
DUNCAN W. GRAHAM
STANTON CLARK
C. J. LAVALLEE
BERT BROWN
CLIFFORD BRISCOE
JOSEPH ST. DENIS
DANIEL MARRS
JOSEPH A. QUILTY

JOHN LETERSKI
PETER CYBULSKI
ANTHONY CYBULSKI
JAMES B. LACEY
COLIN J. HICKEY
G. ALEX McLATEN
F. C. CARTER
FRANK McGOWAN
THOS. McGOWAN
JOSEPH R. DOYLE
THOS. HENRY CRUISE
RENÉ DESNOYERS
THOMAS DEGRAS
JOSEPH A. LAPLANTE
JOHN A. RYAN
JAMES F. VALIQUETTE
GUY McINTYRE
BERNARD S. McINTYRE
FRANCIS McINTYRE
HARRY McINTYRE
G. CLIFFORD McARTHUR
WALTER W. SMITH



1939 — 1945
REMEMBERING
THE MEN
OF THIS VICINITY
WHO DIED OVERSEAS

ROBERT A. BARR
HAROLD BARR
PATRICK BLIMKIE
JACK BOX
LOUIS BROWN
JAMES BROWN
ADRIAN J. BURWELL
EMERY CASTONGUAY
MILTON CAHRBONNEAU
MERVYN CRAM
GLEN CROGIE
MICK DANYLUK
JEROME DOMINICO
ANTHONY DORZEK
WALLACE DUCHARME
HAROLD EADY
MICHAEL L. ENRIGHT
JOHN T. ENRIGHT
DONALD M. FROATS
G. GORDON FROATS
JOHN L. GAUTHIER
LLOYD GOODFELLOW
JOHN P. GRACE
ALLAN W. GUEST
RAYMOND HALE
DAVID R. HUNTER
WILLARD JAMIESON
JAMES A. DUNNE
THOMAS MULVIHILL
GARNET SCOBIE

KOREA
1950 — 1953


1914
1918

YPRES

VIMY RIDGE

MONS

TO ALL
OUR
HONOURED
DEAD


"THEY SHALL NOT
GROW OLD,
AS WE THAT ARE LEFT
GROW OLD:
AGE SHALL NOT
WEARY THEM,
NOR THE YEARS
CONDEMN.
AT THE GOING DOWN
OF THE SUN AND IN
THE MORNING WE WILL
REMEMBER THEM."

GIFT OF
HON THOS A LOW
(Honourable Thomas Andrew Low)


Tuesday, September 27, 2016

James Naismith Plaque

Go northwest from Almonte on Country Road 29, turn right on James Naismith Way, go all the way to the end before it becomes private roads and over on the left you will see a house with the James Naismith plaque on the front wall to the right of the front door. Although a historical site, private owners occupy the property.


Appropriately the property includes a basketball court.



JAMES NAISMITH
(1861—1939)
James Naismith, the inventor of basketball, was born on this farm in Ramsay Township. While studying theology in Montréal, he played a number of sports and became interested in the new discipline of physical education. In 1891, as a teacher in Massachusetts, he recognized the need for a new indoor activity to promote fitness in place of the traditional winter routine of marching, gymnastics and calisthenics. Feeling that a non-contact team game was the best answer, he devised the sport of basketbasll. His game is now played in over one hundred countries around the world.

James Naismith, l'inventeur du basketball, est né dans cette ferme du township de Ramsay. Au cours de ses études de théologie à Montréal, il pratiqua divers sports et s'intéressa à la nouvelle discipline qu'était l'éducation physique. En 1891, alors qu'il enseignait aud Massachusetts, il chercha à remplacer les traditionelles séances de marche et de gymnastique de rigueur en hiver par un activité nouvelle, idéalement un jeu d'équipe sans contact. Il inventa alors le basketball, sport maintenant pratiqué dans plus de 100 pays du monde.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monumnets historiques du Canada


Government of Canada - Gouvernement du Canada


Sunday, September 25, 2016

Renfrew Firefighters Tree of Lights

A large evergreen tree laden with lights and a nearby plaque make up the Renfrew Firefighters Tree of Lights situated to the north of Railway Avenue between Ragland Street South and Plaunt Street South in Renfrew, Ontario.



TREE OF LIGHTS
DEDICATED 1997 TO HONOUR
RENFREW'S DECEASED FIREFIGHTERS
PLAQUE DONATED BY GWEN & BILL BLEECKER



Friday, September 23, 2016

Johnstown District Court House and Gaol Plaque

The Johnstown District Court House and Gaol plaque stands south of the fountain in the park between Courthouse Square and John Ross Matheson Way in Brockville, Ontario.


JOHNSTOWN DISTRICT COURT HOUSE AND GAOL
In 1808 the provincial government authorized the erection
of a court house and gaol at Elizabethtown (Brockville) to
serve the District of Johnstown created ten years earlier.
By 1811 a brick structure had been built here on land donated
by William Buell, the founder of Brockville. It was
replaced in 1824 by a larger building which remained the
judicial and administrative centre of the region until the
present court house was completed in 1843. Prominently
situated at the head of a public green, this imposing
Neoclassical structrue was designed by the noted Toronto
architect John George Howard and contructed by Benjamin
Chaffey, a local contractor. Subsequently enlarged and
renovated, it retains the arrangement of prison and court
facilities so effectively integrated in the original plan.
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Citizenship and Culture

PALAIS DE JUSTICE
ET PRISON DU DISTRICT DE JOHNSTOWN

En 1808, le gouvernement provincial autorisa la construciton
d'un palais de justice e d'une prison à Elizabethtown
(Brockville) pour desservir le district de Johnstown, créé
dix ans plus tôt. En 1811, un édifice en briques avait été
construit sur ce site offert par William Buell, fondateur
de Brockville. Il fut remplacé en 1824 par un bâtiment
plus important qui demeura le centre judiciaire et administratif
de la région jusqu'à la construction du palais de justice
actuel, en 1843. Dominant un parc public, cet imposant
édifice néo-classique fut dessiné par John George Howard,
architecte torontois de renom, et construit par Benjamin
Chaffey, un entrepreneur local. Agrandi et renové plus tard,
il conserve encore la disposition des cours et des prisons
qui gaisait se intégralement partie du plan original.
Erigée par la Fondation de patrimoine ontarien, Ministère des Affairs civiques et culturelles



Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Brockville War Memorial

The Brockville War Memorial occupies a prominent place at the south end of Court House Avenue in Brockville, Ontario.










YPRES
SANCTUARY WOOD
COURCELETTE
VIMY RIDGE

KOREAN WAR 1950 - 1953
AND
UNITED NATIONS PEACEKEEPING


IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THOSE IN THE
SERVICE OF CANADA WHO GAVE THEIR
LIVES FOR FREEDOM WHILE SERVING
WITH UNITED NATIONS FORCES IN KOREA
AND FOR PEACE ON UNITED NATIONS
PEACEKEEPING MISSIONS

WE WILL REMEMBER


THEIR NAME LIVETH FOREVER-MORE

GREATER LOVE HATH
NO MAN THAN THIS
THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE
FOR HIS FRIENDS

KOREA
1950 - 1953





PASSCHENDAELE
AMIENS
ARRAS
CAMBRAI

WORLD WAR II
1939 - 1945


IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THE MEN AND
WOMEN OF OUR NAVY, ARMY, AIR FORCE AND
MERCHANT NAVY AND OF THOSE CANADIANS
IN THE ARMED SERVICES OF OTHER NATIONS
AND ALLIES OF THE BRITISH COMMONWEALTH
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR CANADA
IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR

WE WILL REMEMBER





TO YOU FROM FAILING HANDS WE THROW
THE TORCH; BE YOURS TO HOLD IT HIGH.
IF YE BREAK FAITH WITH US WHO DIE
WE SHALL NOT SLEEP, THOUGH POPPIES GROW
IN FLANDERS FIELDS.

IN HONOURED MEMORY
OF THE MEN OF
BROCKVILLE
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
FOR KING AND COUNTRY
IN THE GREAT WAR
AND IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE
OF THOSE WHO SHARED
ITS DANGERS
1914 - 1919
1939 - 1945